Kittelson has an immediate opening for a transportation engineer with expertise in traffic operations and an interest in multimodal planning to join our office in Sacramento, California.
Kittelson’s Sacramento office is small but growing, with a focus on planning as related to corridor studies, system planning, safety, and active transportation projects. We are looking for an entrepreneurial, energetic professional—one who is experienced in analyzing complex transportation systems and developing data-driven recommendations to inform planning and operational decisions, and motivated to build relationships and pursue new opportunities that will impact the local community.
The transportation engineer (planning focus) will understand the importance of data-driven decisions and exhibit an interest in participating in collaborative, interdisciplinary project teams. The incumbent will have the desire and interpersonal skills to interface with clients (receiving mentoring and support in order to become successful in this role), and will look for opportunities to take on additional responsibility over the course of his/her career with the firm.
- 4+ years of experience focused on data analysis, traffic operations, and microsimulation analyses for complex traffic, transit, bicycle, and pedestrian projects
- Registered California Civil PE, California TE, or certified PTOE
- Significant hands-on experience in traffic and freeway operations software (HCS, Synchro, CORSIM, SIDRA, FREQ, and VISSIM)
- Ability to effectively manage tasks and develop solid internal and client relationships
- Proven experience in providing quality technical analysis
- Strong willingness and ability to lead and win competitive marketing pursuits
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience in completing reviews of current multimodal transportation policies, analyzing historical crash data, and developing conceptual multimodal improvement concepts
- Strong familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles, with specific focus on traffic operations, multimodal operations, context-sensitive design, and safety
- Understanding of Caltrans Highway Design Manual, Plans Preparation Manual, and CA MUTCD
- Experience in coordinating with environmental planners, stakeholder outreach teams, and other disciplines for project delivery
- Confidence in public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry
- Ability to teach and mentor other staff
- A strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trusting relationships
- Ability to problem-solve in real time
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.