Roadway/Civil Design Engineer in Orlando, FL
Kittelson & Associates, Inc. (KAI) has an immediate opening for a mid-level design engineer in our Orlando, FL office. We are looking for a talented, energetic professional design engineer who is looking for an opportunity to join an established practice and build on our statewide and national expertise in roundabouts, complete streets and PD&E studies. This position will involve working alongside nationally known experts in each of these fields who will provide mentorship and guidance for this growth opportunity. The ideal candidate would ultimately lead our local design practice into the future.
KAI has been providing transportation engineering, planning, and research services to government agencies, municipalities, and private organizations since 1985. We develop thoughtful and creative transportation solutions that apply directly to real-world problems with the goal of improving the performance of all transportation systems. Our staff members practice the firm’s outward focus by leading national transportation research projects, mentoring young staff, providing educational opportunities for industry professionals, and finding ways to improve the value of our work.
This person will provide design-oriented support for senior-level engineers and planners. They will be responsible for developing designs for projects at a variety of different stages (concept through final design) and will be available to step in and take over additional responsibilities as needed. This could include geometric design input into initial phases of planning studies, support in developing detailed concepts or preliminary designs during corridor studies and PD&E studies, and development of final design drawings. The Design Engineer will also be responsible for internal task management and mentoring to junior level staff as they are added to support the practice. The successful candidate will have a strong desire and the interpersonal skills to interface with internal and external clients and will receive mentoring and support from the team to become successful in this role. The successful candidate will consistently assume additional responsibility as they manage their own career path at the firm.
• 3-6 years of design experience with a civil background
• Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering
• EIT minimum, PE preferred
• General design skills to include some or all of the following: geometric design background, signal design, signing and marking design, vertical and horizontal alignments
• Strong interest in geometric design
• Interest in roundabout design, experienced preferred
• Experience in preparing plans, specifications, and estimates
• Strong background in MicroStation
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
• Design experience with roundabouts
• PD&E/NEPA experience
• Florida PE
• Signal, ITS, and/or Lighting design
• Ped/Bike/Complete Streets design
• Entrepreneurial attitude and wants to take on additional responsibility
• Passion for design elements of projects
• Interest in working on project involving roundabouts, Complete Streets, PD&E, etc…
• Strong communication skills
• Natural teaching and mentoring ability
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build trusting relationships
• Ability to think on their feet with strong communication skills
• Committed to delivering excellence
The professionals who now define our reputation and quality of work came to the company one by one, each bringing the commitment, initiative, inquisitiveness, and willingness to take risks that has led to our collective success. Our staff is committed to our overall firm purpose and mission to create and sustain a lifelong learning environment for all staff, increase the value and contributions of our profession and the communities we serve, and provide the opportunity for the independent success of all staff. If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in Transportation today, we want to hear from you! Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest and please reference Roadway/Civil Design Engineer as part of your submittal. KAI is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of veteran status or disability.