Location: Oakland Orange Sacramento San Diego
Kittelson & Associates has an immediate opening in California for an experienced civil engineer who is passionate about growing a thriving transportation design practice.
YOU ARE: an experienced civil engineer licensed in California with a focus on transportation projects from conceptual through final design. You bring a people-first mindset, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to make a positive impact in our organization.
WE ARE: a passionate transportation engineering and planning firm that celebrates an entrepreneurial spirit and has a strong commitment to putting our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"I enjoy being able to work with more than 250 transportation researchers, planners, and design professionals in an un-siloed environment. There’s a large degree of autonomy here in shaping the next phase of your career."- Gibran Hadj-Chikh, Senior Principal Planner
We invite you to learn about our team of amazing professionals in California, as well as the projects they are working on across our offices in Oakland, Orange, Sacramento, and San Diego. You may also enjoy exploring design-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
This practice leader will provide strategic vision and business development support across our four offices in California, as well as lead complex and high-profile projects ranging from roadway and intersection concept development to final design support. In this role, you will:
- Create and execute a growth plan for expanding our design practice throughout California
- Apply your understanding of three-dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design to lead, advance and support: planning studies, corridor evaluations, environmental review document preparation, project permitting, and preliminary and final design plan production
- Foster the growth of junior- and mid-level staff by helping them develop design-related skills
- Identify, pursue, and win traffic and transportation design-related project opportunities
- 13+ years of civil engineering experience with a background in three-dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design
- 7+ years of experience designing, coordinating, and managing roadway and traffic engineering design projects, including traffic signals, roundabouts, interchanges, signing and striping, and construction traffic control plans
- Design of on street and off-street active transportation facilities
- Preparing reports, plans, quantities, and estimates using highway design manuals, NCHRP guidelines, the AASHTO Policy, MUTCD, and other local design criteria
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering or related field
- Registered as California civil professional engineer (PE)
- Strong project management skills with a track record of organizing and training level staff on project components
- Demonstrated ability to win and bring in new project opportunities
- High degree of functionality and understanding in either MicroStation, AutoCAD, InRoads and/or Civil 3D
- Roundabout planning, operations, and design
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles affecting geometric design
- Awareness and applications of the Highway Safety Manual
- California-based design experience
- Application of the Caltrans Highway Design Manual, Plan Preparation Manual and CA MUTCD
- Coordinating with partner consultants, agency staff, stakeholder outreach teams, and other disciplines for project delivery
- Demonstrated ability to develop solid internal relationships and external client relationships
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): Associate level: $125,000 to $145,000; Principal level: $140,000+
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
"After joining Kittelson in June 2021, midway through my career, I was impressed to find that Kittelson had established several forums for staff to provide thoughts, concerns, and ideas on their personal experiences working during the pandemic and used that information to understand viewpoints and support success, not to dictate next steps."- Mychal Loomis, Associate Engineer, San Diego
Federal Contractor Notification: As a covered contractor committed to retaining its Federal clients and projects and the related opportunities provided to our staff, Kittelson is required to adhere to Federal Contractor COVID-19 vaccination mandates, which require proof of full vaccination status or an approved religious or medical exemption. Full details can be referenced on our website here.
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.