Location: Oakland Orange Sacramento San Diego
Kittelson & Associates has an immediate opening in California for an experienced transportation engineer or planner who is passionate about growing an emerging technology practice.
YOU ARE: an experienced transportation engineer or planner with a people-first mindset, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to make a positive impact in our organization.
WE ARE: a passionate transportation engineering and planning firm that celebrates an entrepreneurial spirit and has a strong commitment to putting our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"I enjoy being able to work with more than 250 transportation researchers, planners, and design professionals in an un-siloed environment. There’s a large degree of autonomy here in shaping the next phase of your career."- Gibran Hadj-Chikh, Senior Principal Planner
We invite you to learn about our team of amazing professionals in California, as well as the projects they are working on across our offices in Oakland, Orange, Sacramento, and San Diego. You may also enjoy exploring emerging technology-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
This practice leader will provide strategic vision and business development support, in addition to managing and leading exciting projects focused on the use of technology to improve transportation systems for all users. In this role, you will:
- Help communities and agencies plan for emerging technologies
- Lead transportation innovation from planning to evaluation to deployment
- Train and develop an internal team to support the growth of this area
- Identify, pursue, and win emerging technology project opportunities
- 10+ years of traffic engineering and/or planning experience and proven quality-control oversight of technical analysis
- Deep knowledge of technology advances shaping the future of the industry including automated and connected vehicles, emerging technology, Mobility on Demand (MOD), and Mobility as a Service (MaaS)
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in transportation engineering, planning, or related field
- Registered as a California Professional Engineer (PE)
- Well versed in national best practices on the impacts of transformational technologies on land use and transportation
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to develop solid internal and client relationships
- Hands-on experience in:
- Analyzing and solving complex, multi-modal transportation technology challenges
- Developing technology transition plans
- Planning or evaluating emerging technology deployments
- Researching effects of new mobility services on mobility and connectivity
- Proven track record of leading and winning competitive marketing pursuits
- Experience creating or implementing CAV and ITS strategic plans, research, operational testing, technology deployment, policy, communications, engagement, and planning
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): Associate level: $120,000 to $145,000; Principal level: $140,000+
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
"After joining Kittelson in June 2021, midway through my career, I was impressed to find that Kittelson had established several forums for staff to provide thoughts, concerns, and ideas on their personal experiences working during the pandemic and used that information to understand viewpoints and support success, not to dictate next steps."- Mychal Loomis, Associate Engineer, San Diego
Federal Contractor Notification: As a covered contractor committed to retaining its Federal clients and projects and the related opportunities provided to our staff, Kittelson is required to adhere to Federal Contractor COVID-19 vaccination mandates, which require proof of full vaccination status or an approved religious or medical exemption. Full details can be referenced on our website here.
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.