Kittelson has an immediate opening for an entry- to junior-level transportation professional in our Orange, California, office.
Introduction to Kittelson
Kittelson & Associates, Inc. is a trust‐based organization that provides industry-leading transportation engineering, planning, and research services to government agencies, municipalities, and private organizations. We develop thoughtful and creative transportation solutions that apply directly to real‐world problems, with the goal of improving the performance of all transportation systems. Our staff members practice the firm’s outward‐focused values by leading national transportation research projects, mentoring junior-level staff, providing educational opportunities for industry professionals, and finding ways to improve the value of our work.
The entry- to junior-level transportation professional will join a growing local practice in our Orange office and help to expand our regional expertise in traffic engineering and transportation planning. We are looking for an entrepreneurial and energetic professional who is interested in building a career in transportation and at Kittelson.
In this position, you will be responsible for conducting analytical work and technical writing related to traffic operations, transportation planning, active transportation planning, connected/autonomous vehicles, curbside management, microsimulation, transit operations, safety, roadway/intersection design, data analytics, and more.
The position will involve working alongside experts who will provide mentorship and guidance for growth and professional development opportunities. To be considered a candidate, you should have solid interpersonal skills to interface with internal staff and external clients, as well as a drive for assuming increasing responsibilities throughout your career.
- 0-3 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or urban planning, master’s degree in engineering or urban planning, or related degree with equivalent experience
- Interest (experience preferred) in working on a variety of innovative projects involving traffic engineering, multimodal planning, data analytics, new transportation technologies, and alternative intersection design
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, GIS, Synchro, HCS, VISSIM, and other traffic and freeway operations software
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual, AASHTO Green Book, NACTO Urban Street Design Guide, and other similar reference materials
- EIT, TE, PE, or AICP
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit
- Passion for the transportation industry
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to think critically; interest in conducting research
- Interest in working across multiple offices
- Ability to represent the firm at meetings and conferences
- Involvement in professional societies (e.g., ITE, APA, APWA)
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer‐paid health insurance, an outstanding retirement program, and a diverse cultural environment.
To apply, please submit your profile and attach your resume. No phone calls, please.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed in this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills.