Location: Anchorage Bend Boise Portland
Kittelson has immediate openings for civil transportation engineers in our Anchorage, Bend, Boise and Portland offices to focus on roadway and traffic engineering and bicycle/pedestrian projects, from concept development to final design support.
Kittelson’s Anchorage, Bend, Boise and Portland offices seek mid- to senior-level project design engineers who will apply an understanding of three-dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design in order to lead, advance and support planning studies, corridor evaluations, project permitting, and preliminary and final design plan production. The engineers will be responsible for developing construction drawings. Projects may include assessing intersection forms and control strategies (including roundabouts and alternative forms) and conceptualizing solutions for roadways, highways, multimodal corridors and interchanges. Incumbents will provide internal project task management and project strategies/approaches, as well as mentor and guide junior-level staff. They must also be available as needed to step in and take over some of the responsibilities of the office’s principal engineer. Successful candidates will have the desire and interpersonal skills to interface with clients (receiving mentoring and support to become successful in this role) and will seek opportunities to take on additional responsibilities during the course of their career with the firm.
- 5-10 years of civil engineering experience, with background in three-dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design
- Hands-on design experience in the traditional design elements of any of the following: designing, coordinating, and managing traffic engineering design projects, including traffic signals, roundabouts, service interchanges, bicycle/pedestrian projects, signing and striping, and construction traffic control plans
- Experience in preparation of reports, plans, quantities and estimates using highway design manuals, NCHRP guidelines, AASHTO policies, MUTCD, and local design criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field
- Professional registration
- Past experience in internal task management with track record of organizing and training junior-level staff on project components
- High degree of functionality in and understanding of Microstation, AutoCAD, InRoads, and/or Civil3D
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Roundabout planning, operations, and design experience
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles that support and affect geometric design
- Awareness and applications of the Highway Safety Manual
- Experience in coordinating with environmental planners, stakeholder outreach teams, and other disciplines for project delivery
- Confidence with public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry and consulting
- Natural teaching and mentoring ability
- Strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with high level of customer service
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.