Kittelson has an immediate opening for a talented and energetic mid- to senior-level transportation professional in our Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, office.
Kittelson’s Harrisburg office seeks a mid- to senior-level project manager/engineer with experience in transportation planning, engineering, and operations. Transportation project experience can include involvement at a local, regional, or national level.
The Mid- to Senior-Level Project Manager/Engineer, based in our Harrisburg office, will be responsible for managing projects effectively, conducting analytical work, and writing technical deliverables for traffic operations and transportation planning projects, safety evaluations, multimodal studies, data analytics, and more. They will provide internal project management and project strategies/approaches, as well as mentor and guide junior-level staff. The successful candidate will have the desire and interpersonal skills to interface with clients; receive mentoring and support to become successful in this role; and look for opportunities to take on additional responsibilities over the course of their career with the firm.
- 10 to 20 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility for state DOTs (PennDOT preferred) and in municipal project development
- Working knowledge of safety analysis, including but not limited to: Highway Safety Manual applications, road safety audits, HSIP program/projects, and safety policy experience
- Hands-on experience in designing, coordinating, and managing traffic engineering design projects, including traffic signals, roundabouts, service interchanges, bicycle/pedestrian projects, signing and striping, and construction traffic control plans
- Experience with traffic modeling (e.g., Synchro/Simtraffic software, HCS, Vissim/Visum, FREEVAL) and developing or reviewing traffic impact studies
- Familiarity with the procedures and methodologies published in the ITE Trip Generation Handbook, Highway Capacity Manual, and MUTCD
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field required; master’s degree preferred
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in Pennsylvania
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Confidence in public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
- Experience with PennDOT’s Highway Occupancy Permit Program
- Understanding of urban transportation issues and relevant documents and strategies, including NACTO, Vision Zero, and innovative multimodal planning and design strategies
- Ability to support an array of projects in other Kittelson offices
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry and consulting
- Natural teaching and mentoring ability
- Strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build trusting relationships
- Commitment to delivering excellence
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.