Kittelson has an immediate opening for a talented and energetic mid- to senior-level transportation professional in our Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, office.
Kittelson’s Harrisburg office seeks a mid- to senior-level project engineer with experience in transportation planning, engineering, and operations. Transportation project experience can include involvement at a local, regional, or national level.
In this role, you will be responsible for effectively managing projects, conducting analytical work, and writing technical deliverables for traffic operations and transportation planning projects, safety evaluations, multimodal studies, data analytics, and more. You will provide internal project task management and project strategies/approaches, as well as mentor and guide junior-level staff. The successful candidate will have the desire and interpersonal skills to interface with clients (receiving mentoring and support to become successful in this role) and will look for opportunities to take on additional responsibilities during the course of your career with the firm.
- 10 to 15 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility for state DOTs (PennDOT preferred) and municipal project development
- Hands-on experience in designing, coordinating, and managing traffic engineering design projects, including traffic signals, roundabouts, service interchanges, bicycle/pedestrian projects, signing and striping, and construction traffic control plans
- Experience with traffic modeling (Synchro/Simtraffic software, HCS, Vissim/Visum) and development or review of traffic impact studies
- Familiarization with the procedures and methodologies published in the ITE Trip Generation Handbook, the Highway Capacity Manual, and the MUTCD
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field
- Professional registration
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Awareness and applications of the Highway Safety Manual
- Confidence with public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
- Experience with PennDOT’s Highway Occupancy Permit Program
- Understanding of urban transportation issues and relevant documents and strategies, including NACTO, Vision Zero, and innovative multimodal planning and design strategies
- Ability to support an array of projects in Kittelson’s other offices
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry and consulting
- Natural teaching and mentoring ability
- Strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build trusting relationships
- Commitment to delivering excellence
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.