KITTELSON & ASSOCIATES, INC.
Position: Senior Engineering Associate
Location: Reston, VA
Duties: Perform transportation/traffic analysis, design, and report preparation requiring knowledge of principles and techniques commonly employed in the civil engineering profession. Interpret software outputs, document results and key findings, and prepare technical reports containing conclusions and recommendations. Oversee the work quality and training of entry-level staff (not a supervisor role / no reports). Perform quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) for the work performed by other engineers. Attend technical meetings with clients, presenting analytical approach and results. Prepare proposal components for projects, including scope of services, budget, and schedule. Manage small projects or tasks within larger projects. Independently coordinate client interactions regarding routine communications, work scope modifications, and invoicing. Uphold positive and effective team communications by relating to clients, agencies, consultants, and other team members beyond giving and receiving instructions.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, or a closely related field (foreign equivalent accepted).
Experience: 5 years’ post-bachelor’s progressive experience as a Traffic Engineer, Engineering Associate, Transportation Analyst, Transportation Engineer Associate, or similar position
- 5 years’ experience with transportation analysis, including signal warrant analyses, traffic impact studies, and transportation demand management plans
- 5 years’ experience with applying Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Trip Generation Manuals to conduct traffic impact studies and other transportation analyses
- 5 years’ experience coordinating the work of other engineers
- 3 years’ experience with traffic safety studies, traffic signal design, working with Microstation application with InRoads and Geopak tool, and with AutoCAD to conduct transportation design work
- 3 years’ experience with Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) design
- 3 years’ experience with constructability review including quantities and cost estimate preparation related to transportation projects
- 3 years’ experience with Microsoft Project related to transportation projects
- 3 years’ experience with traffic model calibration
- 3 years’ experience with applying Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) design standards and VDOT Traffic Operations and Safety Analysis Manual to transportation related projects
- 3 years’ experience communicating directly with clients
All experience, skills and requirements may be gained concurrently.