Location: Oakland Orange Sacramento San Diego
Kittelson & Associates has an immediate opening in California for an experienced transportation professional passionate about transit planning.
YOU ARE: an experienced transportation planner with a people-first mindset, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to make a positive impact in our organization.
WE ARE: a passionate transportation engineering and planning firm that celebrates an entrepreneurial spirit and has a strong commitment to putting our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"I love this company’s flat structure. I get to lead projects I am passionate about and organize project teams around tasks, not titles."- Amanda Leahy, Associate Planner, Oakland
We invite you to learn about our team of amazing professionals in California, as well as the projects they are working on across our offices in Oakland, Orange, Sacramento, and San Diego. You may also enjoy exploring transit-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
The senior transit planner will have a passion for projects ranging from transit corridor concept development to transit operations planning and long-range transit master plans and have an interest or experience in how technology is changing mobility. In this role, you will:
- Manage and coordinate technical work, lead agency and stakeholder engagement, and develop project strategies and approaches
- Mentor, guide and develop other staff
- Identify, pursue, and win transit-related project opportunities
- 10+ years of multimodal transportation planning experience, including transit (bus or rail) systems planning and operations
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in transportation planning, or related field
- Direct experience preparing planning documents such as transportation system plans, multimodal corridor studies, short-range or long-range transit plans, alternatives analyses, ridership forecasts, travel demand management programs, climate action plans, and/or technology planning
- Project management with a track record of organizing and training junior-level staff on project components
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to lead and win competitive marketing pursuits
- Participating in business development activities such as developing project teams and pursuit strategies, and proposal writing
- Using transit planning tools, travel demand modeling, and/or ArcGIS
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles supporting traffic analysis
- Understanding of roadway design standards and their relationship to transit planning
- Conducting multimodal analysis, preparing reports, and developing transit service plans or concept designs using guidance from NACTO, TCRP or NCHRP, or other Caltrans or local guidance
- Understanding of FTA regulations, policies, and procedures
- Experience in urban and rural transit systems
- Coordinating with agency staff, private consultants, stakeholder outreach teams, and professionals in other disciplines for successful project completion
- Public speaking before laypersons, stakeholders, and teaming partners
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $120,000 – $145,000
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
"After joining Kittelson in June 2021, midway through my career, I was impressed to find that Kittelson had established several forums for staff to provide thoughts, concerns, and ideas on their personal experiences working during the pandemic and used that information to understand viewpoints and support success, not to dictate next steps."- Mychal Loomis, Associate Engineer, San Diego
Federal Contractor Notification: As a covered contractor committed to retaining its Federal clients and projects and the related opportunities provided to our staff, Kittelson is required to adhere to Federal Contractor COVID-19 vaccination mandates, which require proof of full vaccination status or an approved religious or medical exemption. Full details can be referenced on our website here.
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.