Location: Oakland Orange Sacramento San Diego
Kittelson & Associates has an immediate opening in California for a senior transportation engineer/planner who has an expertise in travel demand modeling.
YOU ARE: an experienced engineer and/or planner who loves rolling up your sleeves to dig into challenging transportation problems that require your expertise in modeling and forecasting. You are at your best when in an environment that gives you autonomy to focus your time and attention on serving clients and mentoring others.
WE ARE: a highly innovative transportation engineering and planning firm that celebrates an entrepreneurial spirit and has a strong commitment to putting our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"I love this company’s flat structure. I get to lead projects I am passionate about and organize project teams around tasks, not titles."- Amanda Leahy, Associate Planner, Oakland
We invite you to learn about our team of amazing professionals in California, as well as the projects they are working on across our offices in Oakland, Orange, Sacramento, and San Diego. You may also enjoy exploring traffic operations-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
In this role, you will apply your application and development skills in coordination with all other elements of transportation-related project work. You will have an opportunity to build a practice with the support from others around the firm who share a similar excitement about modeling in the profession. Kittelson is also heavily involved in national research to further the transportation profession which provides you with direct access to cutting-edge information and practices. In this role, you will:
- Analyze and solve complex transportation planning or engineering problems dealing with all travel modes
- Apply one or more modeling software programs, such as TransCAD, CUBE and/or Visum to generate forecasts from a wide variety of models
- Manage projects overseeing staff, deliverables, budget, and schedule
- Develop internal and client relationships
- Mentor and develop forecasting staff through projects and training throughout the firm
- Comfort with working beyond the model mechanics: understanding limitations, applying the big picture, and generating innovative ideas
- 7+ years of work experience in travel demand modeling and travel behavior forecasting (TransCAD strongly preferred)
- Experience with trip-based and activity-based travel models
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in transportation planning, civil engineering, data science or related major
- Extensive experience in working on a variety of projects, including multimodal corridor studies, General and Specific plans, transportation impact studies, active transportation planning, and local/regional transportation plans
- Proven experience in providing quality control oversight of technical analysis
- Professional license or certification (e.g., TE, PE, AICP, PTP)
- Experience with major California regional models (SCAG, MTC, etc.).
- Experience with mesoscopic modeling or microsimulation.
- Experience with transit ridership model (e.g., STOPS)
- Proficiency with programming and data analysis using Python or R
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $115,000 – $140,000
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
"After joining Kittelson in June 2021, midway through my career, I was impressed to find that Kittelson had established several forums for staff to provide thoughts, concerns, and ideas on their personal experiences working during the pandemic and used that information to understand viewpoints and support success, not to dictate next steps."- Mychal Loomis, Associate Engineer, San Diego
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.