Location: Oakland Orange Sacramento San Diego
Kittelson & Associates has an immediate opening in California for a senior traffic engineer to lead traffic operations projects for freeway corridors, interchanges, signal systems, local roadways and managed lanes.
YOU ARE: an experienced traffic engineer with a people-first mindset, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to make a positive impact in our organization.
WE ARE: a passionate transportation engineering and planning firm that celebrates an entrepreneurial spirit and has a strong commitment to putting our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"I love this company’s flat structure. I get to lead projects I am passionate about and organize project teams around tasks, not titles."- Amanda Leahy, Associate Planner, Oakland
We invite you to learn about our team of amazing professionals in California, as well as the projects they are working on across our offices in Oakland, Orange, Sacramento, and San Diego. You may also enjoy exploring traffic operations-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
The senior traffic operations engineer will lead complex and high-profile projects throughout California involving freeway corridors, interchanges, signal systems, local roadways, and managed lanes. In this role, you will:
- Develop concepts and implement advanced traffic management strategies including Active Transportation and Demand Management (ATDM) and Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) strategies
- Create and screen improvement alternatives, perform traffic operations analysis and macro/micro simulation analysis, and refine conceptual designs
- Lead the development of cost-effective data collection plans, proposing methodologies and objectively presenting findings while building consensus among stakeholders and the public
- Identify, pursue, and win traffic operations-related project opportunities
- 10+ years of traffic engineering experience, with a background in freeway corridors, interchanges, signal systems, local roadways, and managed lanes
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering or related field
- Registered as California professional engineer (PE) or traffic engineer (TE)
- 5+ years of hands-on transportation operations experience in analyzing and solving complex transportation planning and engineering problems dealing with all travel modes
- An understanding of the Highway Capacity Manual and Highway Safety Manual analysis techniques, Caltrans Highway Design Manual, Plan Preparation Manual, and CA MUTCD
- Extensive experience in working on a variety of projects, including traffic and transit microsimulation, multimodal corridor studies, downtown circulation plans, transportation demand management plans, transportation impact studies, bicycle and pedestrian facility planning, and local/regional transportation plans
- Ability to effectively manage projects, and develop solid internal and client relationships
- Proven experience in providing quality control oversight of technical analysis
- Strong willingness and ability to lead and win competitive marketing pursuits
- Experience with ATDM, ICM, express lanes and ramp metering
- Experience working with FHWA and State DOT (especially Caltrans) personnel
- Ability to use a variety of software programs effectively and make timely and informed recommendations to clients, elected officials, and stakeholders
- Familiarity with basic systems engineering processes
- Ability to provide technical advice on positioning, messaging, and traffic operations effects of electronic signing and variable speed limits
- Experience in coordinating with environmental planners, stakeholder outreach teams, and other disciplines for project delivery
- Confidence in public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $120,000 – $145,000
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
"After joining Kittelson in June 2021, midway through my career, I was impressed to find that Kittelson had established several forums for staff to provide thoughts, concerns, and ideas on their personal experiences working during the pandemic and used that information to understand viewpoints and support success, not to dictate next steps."- Mychal Loomis, Associate Engineer, San Diego
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.