Location: Miami Fort Lauderdale
Would you like to be at the forefront of guiding transportation policies and decision-makers to support and sustain livable communities? Would you like to leverage your technical skills to communicate and influence decisions that help nurture thriving communities?
Kittelson & Associates is committed to developing thoughtful and creative transportation solutions that supports thriving communities by improving transportation systems’ performance and equitably serving all community members. Currently, we have an opening for a senior transportation planner in our growing team of place-makers in South Florida.
We are looking for a professional with a passion for leveraging transportation skills to plan, design, and build livable communities. As a transportation planner, you will work on projects ranging from Complete Streets policies through implementation, transit-oriented development and station area plans, multimodal corridor plans, safety plans, long-range regional plans, and many other projects. You will work collaboratively with our staff in Fort Lauderdale and Miami and potentially across Kittelson’s offices nationwide while receiving mentoring and support as you take on additional responsibilities. You get to manage your career path and will have immediate exposure to managing projects and clients of varying complexities.
- 5-10 years of experience in transportation planning and design.
- Relevant degree in urban design, urban planning, and/or civil engineering, focusing on urban transportation planning.
- Critical thinking skills that incorporate and blend innovative ideas in land use, urban design, transportation planning, and designing multimodal solutions.
- Ability to learn and/or understand the relationship between traffic engineering, transportation planning, and policy when identifying transportation solutions.
- Excellent verbal, written, and graphical/visualization storytelling skills to convey ideas to elected officials, managers, decision-makers, and technical engineering staff.
- Knowledge of GIS and Microsoft 365 products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience facilitating community workshops.
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop, and advanced GIS operations.
- Knowledge of SketchUp, Lumion, and/or other 3D graphics software.
- AICP Certification.
Preferred Soft Skills
- An entrepreneurial and consulting spirit.
- Ability to work independently, learn fast, and balance multiple projects.
- Natural teaching and mentoring ability.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trust-based relationships.
- Ability to think on your feet with strong communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
The range for this position is $82,000-120,000, which is a combination of your base salary plus an employer-funded 401K retirement contribution. Position in this range is determined by candidate’s experience.
Kittelson provides meaningful support for involvement in industry associations and/or conference participation, as well as the pursuit of professional licenses and certifications. We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
If you are passionate about what you do and want to work with an excellent placemaking team, influencing positive change in our transportation systems today, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest and be prepared to submit your resume and work samples as part of the application process.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.