We are looking for a Technical Editor/Publications Coordinator to join our team.
We are looking for a talented senior professional to manage the development of publications for transportation planning and engineering projects. This person will join a creative team that partners with Kittelson’s transportation planners and engineers to advance projects and ideas in offices nationwide.
Typical publications include printed or digital study and research reports; manuals and guidebooks; educational materials and presentations; public outreach materials; websites and videos; and marketing and communications campaigns. This position may be based in one of several offices on the East or West Coast, though Portland, Oregon, is preferred. Work will be remote for the immediate future, due to COVID-19.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer‐paid health insurance, a generous paid-time-off program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity.
- Manage the creative process of converting technical information into reader-friendly, visually-compelling publications that realize clients’ and project teams’ visions.
- Work with authors to craft themes and messaging for target audiences and lead technical editing and writing of report summaries tailored to different audiences.
- Help project managers develop scope, schedule, and budget for publication components of projects.
- Guide project teams, including clients in some cases, through brainstorming, outlining, and storyboarding sessions as needed.
- Synthesize the work of multiple authors into a consistent voice and edit for conciseness, clarity, and accuracy.
- Conceptualize and help develop project branding.
- Closely follow client or project writing style and branding requirements.
- Identify opportunities in text drafts to visualize information in ways that will aid the reader’s understanding.
- Mentor junior technical writing staff and help with writing and communication education sessions for technical staff.
- 5+ years of journalistic writing experience and/or providing services comparable to those described above
- Working knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style and AP Stylebook
- Intermediate Adobe InDesign skills
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Word skills
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- A/E/C industry experience
- Experience with WordPress or other website building/content management systems
- Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Premier Pro skills
Preferred Soft Skills
- Ability to think creatively
- Strong leadership, communication, and collaborative skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- A strong desire to learn
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusting relationships
- Ability to teach and mentor other staff
- Commitment to serving others first, with a high level of customer service
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous paid-time-off program (in addition to parental leave), a retirement program that puts an emphasis on setting individuals up for future financial independence, and a culture that seeks and values diversity.
Base salary range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $65,000-$85,000*
*Kittelson has a unique approach to total compensation that we share in detail in the interviewing process.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you!
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.