Kittelson has an immediate opening for a transportation design project manager based in our Portland office to support our recent growth.
We are looking for a talented, energetic professional to join the team in our Portland, Oregon, office and focus on managing roadway and traffic engineering projects that range from roadway and intersection concept development to final design and development of bid-ready construction documents.
As a mid- to senior-level manager, the transportation design project manager will be primarily responsible for effectively managing roadway and multimodal design projects for the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), the Portland Bureau of Transportation, and other local and regional clients. Additional responsibilities may include leading and actively participating in project proposal development, QA/QC review of project deliverables, business development activities, and more. Responsibilities also include internal project management and project strategies/approaches, as well as the mentorship and guidance of junior-level staff. The successful candidate will have the desire and interpersonal skills to interface with clients (and will receive mentoring and support to become successful in this role) and will look for opportunities to take on additional responsibilities in the process of managing a career with the firm.
- 10 to 20 years of transportation engineering design and project management experience that includes the preparation of plans, specifications, and estimates for multi-discipline roadway design projects
- Familiarity with the procedures and methodologies published in major national guidelines (e.g., AASHTO and MUTCD) and department of transportation design standards and guidelines (ODOT preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field; master’s degree preferred
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in Oregon, or the ability to obtain it within six months
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience in project delivery through ODOT’s PS&E process
- Experience with InRoads and/or Civil3D (InRoads preferred)
- Experience preparing reports and designs using highway design manuals, NCHRP guidelines, the AASHTO Policy, MUTCD, and local design criteria
- Experience with roadway design software including MicroStation, 3D modeling software (InRoads and/or GEOPAK), and AutoTURN
- Confidence in public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
- Familiarity with emerging policy pertaining to urban street design (e.g., NACTO, Vision Zero) and Every Day Counts initiatives
- Interest in supporting an array of projects led by other Kittelson offices
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit; motivation to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry
- Ability to teach and mentor other staff
- A strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with a high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trusting relationships
- Ability to think and respond quickly, with strong communication skills
- Commitment to delivering excellence
Salary and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous paid-time-off program (in addition to parental leave), a retirement program that puts an emphasis on setting individuals up for future financial independence, and a culture that seeks and values diversity.
Base salary range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $100,000-$140,000*
*Kittelson has a unique approach to total compensation that we share in detail in the interviewing process.
The professionals who now define Kittelson’s reputation and quality of work came to the company one by one, each bringing the commitment, initiative, inquisitiveness, and willingness to take risks that has led to our collective success. Our staff is committed to our overall firm purpose and mission to create and sustain a lifelong learning environment for all staff, increase the value and contributions of our profession and the communities we serve, and provide the opportunity for the independent success of all staff.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you!
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.