Kittelson & Associates has a current opening for a mid- to senior-level urban planner/urban designer in our growing team of place-makers in Orlando.
Would you like to be at the forefront of guiding transportation policies and decision-makers to support and sustain livable communities? Would you like to leverage your urban design skills to communicate and influence decisions that drive equitable growth patterns and help nurture thriving neighborhoods and cities?
Our firm is committed to developing thoughtful and creative transportation solutions that directly apply to real-world problems, with the goal of improving the performance of transportation systems and equitably serving all members of a community.
We are looking for a professional with a passion for leveraging transportation to plan, design, and build livable communities. As an urban designer, you will work on projects ranging from Complete Streets design and implementation, transit-oriented development, station area planning, multimodal corridor planning, long-range regional plans, and many other projects in between. You will work collaboratively with our staff in Orlando and potentially across all Kittelson’s 25 other offices nationwide, while receiving mentoring and support as you take on additional responsibilities. You get to manage your own career path and will have immediate exposure to managing projects and clients of varying complexities.
- 5+ years of experience in urban design and/or landscape architecture related to transportation planning and design.
- Relevant degree in urban design, urban planning, landscape architecture, architecture, and/or civil engineering with a focus in urban transportation planning.
- Critical thinking skills that incorporate and blend innovative ideas in land use, landscape architecture, urban design, and planning and designing multimodal transportation solutions.
- Excellent verbal, written, and graphical/visualization storytelling skills to convey ideas to elected officials, managers, decision-makers, and technical engineering staff.
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and GIS.
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience facilitating community workshops and design charrettes.
- Knowledge of additional AutoCAD, advanced GIS operations, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Knowledge of SketchUp and/or other 3D graphics software.
- AICP or RLA Certification.
Preferred Soft Skills
- An entrepreneurial and consulting spirit.
- Ability to work independently, learn fast, and balance multiple projects.
- Natural teaching and mentoring ability.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trust-based relationships.
- Ability to think on your feet with strong communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $80,000-110,000.
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
Kittelson supports flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phone and to offset the cost of setting up a remote or mobile office.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you! Please express interest for this position by using the “Apply Now” button below. During the application process you will be asked to upload a cover letter and resume.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.