Location: Harrisburg Philadelphia
Kittelson’s Harrisburg office seeks a design or project engineer with experience in transportation planning and design. Project experience can include involvement at a local, regional, or national level.
The Design/Project Engineer, based in our Harrisburg office, will be primarily responsible for performing an array of tasks for roadway and multimodal projects in support of PennDOT, the PTC, and municipal clients. Example tasks include typical roadway design activities (horizontal, vertical, 3D modeling, & drainage design) and intersection control evaluations (ICE)s, road safety audits (RSAs) and other studies, multimodal studies, roundabout peer reviews, and more. They may lead small tasks or portions of larger projects. The successful candidate will have the desire and interpersonal skills to interface with clients; receive mentoring and support to become successful in this role; and look for opportunities to take on additional responsibilities over the course of their career with the firm.
- 4 to 12 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility for state DOT (PennDOT preferred) and municipal clients.
- Working knowledge of transportation engineering, roadway and traffic design and a general understanding of the project delivery process.
- Hands-on experience with transportation engineering projects, including roadway and intersection planning and design.
- Proficiency with roadway design software including MicroStation, 3D modeling software (InRoads and/or GEOPAK), AutoTURN and cost estimating programs.
- Familiarity with the procedures and methodologies published in the major national guidelines (e.g. AASHTO & MUTCD) and DOT guidelines (PennDOT preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field required; master’s degree preferred
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in Pennsylvania preferred, but not required.
- Experience completing PennDOT Highway Occupancy Permits on behalf of municipalities or development clients
- Interest in supporting an array of projects in other Kittelson offices
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry and consulting
- Strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build trusting relationships
- Commitment to delivering excellence
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience and location): $91,000 to $130,000
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Kittelson has a unique approach to total compensation that we share in detail in the interviewing process.
The professionals who now define Kittelson’s reputation and quality of work came to the company one by one, each bringing the commitment, initiative, inquisitiveness, and willingness to take risks that has led to our collective success. Our staff is committed to our overall firm core values to create and sustain a lifelong learning environment for all staff, increase the value and contributions of our profession and the communities we serve, and provide the opportunity for the independent success of all staff.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you! Please express interest for this position by using the “Apply Now” button below. During the application process you will be asked to upload a cover letter and resume.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.