Kittelson has an immediate opening for a talented and energetic mid- to senior-level transportation professional in our Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, office.
Kittelson’s Harrisburg office seeks a design or project engineer with experience in transportation planning and design. Project experience can include involvement at a local, regional, or national level.
The Design/Project Engineer, based in our Harrisburg office, will be primarily responsible for performing an array of tasks for roadway and multimodal projects in support of PennDOT, the PTC, and municipal clients. Example tasks include typical roadway design activities (horizontal, vertical, 3D modeling, & drainage design) and intersection control evaluations (ICE)s, road safety audits (RSAs) and other studies, multimodal studies, roundabout peer reviews, and more. They may lead small tasks or portions of larger projects. The successful candidate will have the desire and interpersonal skills to interface with clients; receive mentoring and support to become successful in this role; and look for opportunities to take on additional responsibilities over the course of their career with the firm.
- 4 to 10 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility for state DOT (PennDOT preferred) and municipal clients.
- Working knowledge of transportation engineering, roadway and traffic design and a general understanding of the project delivery process.
- Hands-on experience with transportation engineering projects, including roadway and intersection planning and design.
- Proficiency with roadway design software including MicroStation, 3D modeling software (InRoads and/or GEOPAK), AutoTURN and cost estimating programs.
- Familiarity with the procedures and methodologies published in the major national guidelines (e.g. AASHTO & MUTCD) and DOT guidelines (PennDOT preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field required; master’s degree preferred
- Professional Engineer (PE) license in Pennsylvania preferred, but not required.
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience completing PennDOT Highway Occupancy Permits on behalf of municipalities or development clients
- Interest in supporting an array of projects in other Kittelson offices
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry and consulting
- Strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build trusting relationships
- Commitment to delivering excellence
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.