Heading to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center this weekend for the Transportation Research Board’s Annual Meeting? Ride-sharing prices will be high and traffic will be heavy, but we have a solution.
Kittelson’s Airport-to-TRB Route Using Capital Bikeshare
Our Associate Planner Conor Semler does this often when he travels from Boston to Washington, D.C. (“I prefer not to be in a car,” he says.) To avoid current construction at the airport, here is his recommended route:
- Cross the pedestrian bridge from DCA to the parking garage.
- Take the elevator down to Level 1.
- Walk to the back of the parking garage and follow to the exit.
- Follow the sidewalk back to the underpass and take the Mount Vernon Trail to Crystal City.
- Once in Crystal City, pick up a bicycle from Capital Bikeshare and enjoy the five-mile ride to the Convention Center. (View the full route here.)
- Return your bike to one of the many bikeshare stations in downtown Washington, D.C.
Here is a map of the route. The orange line indicates the walking path, and the green line is the start of the bike route:
If you can make the trip in under 30 minutes, it just costs $2. You can also pick up a 24-hour pass for $8. We’re excited to use these modes of transportation this weekend and hope they can save you some time and expense, too.
We’ll see you at TRB”¦ if we don’t see you at Capital Bikeshare first!