Location: Fort Lauderdale Miami Orlando Tallahassee Tampa
Kittelson & Associates has an immediate opening for design-focused transportation engineers to support our Florida design practice. Our Florida offices include Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Tallahassee, and Tampa.
YOU ARE: an experienced design engineer with a passion for the transportation industry and knowledge of roadway, intersection, and bicycling and pedestrian facility design. You feel most at home when working in a collaborative environment while leading and providing support for planning and conceptual design studies, project permitting, and preliminary and final design plan production.
WE ARE: a passionate transportation engineering and planning firm that celebrates an entrepreneurial spirit and has a strong commitment to putting our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
The roadway design engineer will provide roadway and intersection design support and maintain responsibility for internal project task management, create project strategies and approaches, and mentor junior team members. In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Developing accurate construction drawings on schedule and within budget to meet client needs
- Assisting Principal engineer responsibilities, such as client interaction, scope and fee development, and business development tasks
- Successfully collaborate with both internal and external project teams
- Taking initiative on additional responsibilities as you manage your own career path at the firm
- 4+ years of civil engineering experience with a background in roadway design. The hands-on design experience should include all of the following: corridor modeling, project detailing, note generation, plans production, quantity take-offs, and cost estimation as related to the designing, coordinating, and managing of transportation engineering design projects; project types may include roundabouts, shared-use paths, separated bike lanes; signing and striping plans; signal design plans; and construction traffic control plans
- Experience preparing reports, plans, quantities, and cost estimates using highway design manuals, AASHTO Policy, the MUTCD and applicable local design criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field
- Florida professional engineer (PE) registration or ability to receive PE within the next 6 months
- Demonstrated experience in task management with a track record of organizing and training junior team members on various project components
- Software: High degree of functionality and understanding of Microstation, AutoCAD, InRoads/OpenRoads, and/or Civil3D
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Planning, traffic operations, and design experience for roundabouts
- Understanding of the FDOT Design Manual and Florida Standard Plans and Specifications
- Experience coordinating with utility owners and design subconsultants/primes
Preferred Soft Skills
- An entrepreneurial and consulting spirit
- Passion for teaching and mentoring
- A strong interest to learn
- High level of customer service and desire to serve others first
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trust-based relationships
- Ability to think on your feet with strong communication skills
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits, including a comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): Mid-level: $80,000–$110,000; Senior-level: $110,000-$140,000
Kittelson has a unique approach to total compensation that we share in detail in the interviewing process. We also recognize the performance of each staff member through a performance bonus program based on their contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
"What a great place to work! Kittelson provides an environment for staff to develop their technical and business skills, while truly being a people-first organization. One year in, I find the flexibility provided to pursue the work and projects I’m interested in, as well as the mentorship and resources needed to be successful—a winning combination."- Jacob Mirabella, Senior Transportation Engineer, Tampa
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.