To support recent growth, Kittelson has an immediate opening in our Portland office for a senior transportation planner experienced in (and passionate about) transit planning.
We are looking for a talented, energetic professional to join the team in our Portland, Oregon, office who will focus on transit projects—ranging from transit corridor concept development to transit operations planning and long-range transit master plans—and who has an interest or experience in how technology is changing mobility.
As a senior-level planner, you will provide transportation planning with responsibility for project management, coordinating technical work and stakeholder engagement, developing project strategies and approaches, mentoring and guiding junior-level staff, and participating in business development activities. The successful candidate will have a strong desire—and the interpersonal skills—to interface with clients and will receive mentoring and support from the team to grow in this role. The successful candidate will look for opportunities to assume additional responsibility in the process of managing a career at Kittelson.
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer‐paid health insurance, a generous paid-time-off program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity.
- 8+ years of multimodal transportation planning experience and preparation of planning documents such as transportation system plans, active transportation plans, transit plans, travel demand management, parking management plans, concept design plans, climate action plans, and technology planning
- Experience conducting multimodal analysis, preparing reports, and developing transit service plans or concept designs using ODOT’s Analysis Procedures Manual, guidance from NACTO, TCRP, or NCHRP, or other ODOT or local guidance
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in transportation, planning, or related field; minimum of eight years of qualifying transportation planning experience
- Experience in project management with a track record of organizing and training junior-level staff on project components
- Experience participating in business development activities such as developing project teams and pursuit strategies, and proposal writing
- Experience coordinating with public agency staff, private consultants, stakeholder outreach teams, and professionals in other disciplines for successful project completion
- Confidence in public speaking before laypersons, stakeholders, and teaming partners
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience with Remix, Travel Demand Modeling, and/or ArcGIS
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles supporting traffic analysis
- An understanding of roadway design standards and their relationship to transit planning
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry
- Ability to teach and mentor other staff
- A strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with a high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusting relationships
- Ability to think creatively
- Strong communication skills
The professionals who now define Kittelson’s reputation and quality of work came to the company one by one, each bringing the commitment, initiative, inquisitiveness, and willingness to take risks that has led to our collective success. Our staff is committed to our overall firm purpose and mission to create and sustain a lifelong learning environment for all staff, increase the value and contributions of our profession and the communities we serve, and provide the opportunity for the independent success of all staff.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you!
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.