To support recent growth, Kittelson has an immediate opening in our Portland office for a senior transportation planner experienced in (and passionate about) transit planning.
We are looking for a talented, energetic professional to join the team in our Portland, Oregon office who will focus on transit projects – ranging from transit corridor concept development to transit operations planning and long-range transit master plans – and who has an interest or experience in how technology is changing mobility.
As a senior-level planner, you will be responsible for project management, coordinating technical work and stakeholder engagement, developing project strategies and approaches, mentoring and guiding junior-level staff, and participating in business development activities. The successful candidate will have a strong desire – and the interpersonal skills – to interface with clients and will receive mentoring and support from the team to grow in this role.
- 8+ years of multimodal transportation planning experience and preparation of planning documents such as transportation system plans, active transportation plans, transit plans, travel demand management, parking management plans, concept design plans, climate action plans, and technology planning
- Experience conducting multimodal analysis, preparing reports, and developing transit service plans or concept designs using guidance from NACTO, TCRP, or NCHRP, ODOT’s Analysis Procedures Manual, or other ODOT or local guidance
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in transportation, planning, or related field
- Experience in project management with a track record of organizing and training junior-level staff on project components
- Experience coordinating with public agency staff, private consultants, stakeholder outreach teams, and professionals in other disciplines for successful project completion
- Confidence in public speaking before laypersons, stakeholders, and teaming partners
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience participating in business development activities such as developing project teams and pursuit strategies, and proposal writing
- Experience with transit planning tools, travel demand modeling, and/or ArcGIS
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles supporting traffic analysis
- An understanding of roadway design standards and their relationship to transit planning
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry
- Ability to teach and mentor other staff
- A strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with a high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusting relationships
- Ability to think creatively
- Strong communication skills
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $90,000-125,000.
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
Kittelson supports flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phone and to offset the cost of setting up a remote or mobile office.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you! Please express interest for this position by using the “Apply Now” button below. During the application process you will be asked to upload a cover letter and resume.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.