Kittelson seeks a Senior Design or Project Engineer for our Arizona practice to lead and manage the design of roadway and bicycle/pedestrian projects from concept development through final design.
YOU ARE: a senior engineer who loves rolling up your sleeves to dig into challenging roadway and intersection design problems. You are at your best when in an environment that gives you autonomy to focus your time and attention on serving clients and mentoring others as you follow your passion.
WE ARE: a nationwide transportation engineering and planning firm that seeks to raise the bar in our profession, serve others first through the way we work, and put our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"What a great place to work! Kittelson provides an environment for staff to develop their technical and business skills, while truly being a people-first organization. One year in, I find the flexibility provided to pursue the work and projects I’m interested in, as well as the mentorship and resources needed to be successful—a winning combination."- Jacob Mirabella, Senior Transportation Engineer, Tampa
We invite you to learn about our team of professionals in Phoenix and Tucson, and the projects they are working on across our offices in Arizona. You may also enjoy exploring design-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
The Senior Design/Project Engineer will be primarily responsible for project management and leading the design of transportation improvement projects, from concept level to final design and PS&E, for state (ADOT), county, and local transportation agencies. Projects may include roadway widening, intersection reconstruction, including roundabouts, complete streets, and pedestrian/bicycle improvements. The successful candidate will:
- Manage multi-disciplinary design teams effectively
- Successfully interface with clients and grow the design practice
- Mentor and support others
- 8-15 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility on roadway engineering projects for state DOT, County, City, and other municipal clients
- Proficiency with one or more roadway design software programs (e.g., AutoCAD/Civil 3D (preferred), Microstation/OpenRoads)
- Demonstrated understanding of the project delivery process for roadway improvements, including development of design drawings, quantities and estimates, and specifications
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering or related field
- Arizona Professional Engineer (PE) registration in civil engineering
- Demonstrated ability to pursue and win project work
- Proficiency with the procedures and methodologies published in the major national guidelines (e.g., AASHTO & MUTCD).
- Familiarity with DOT-specific guidelines and standards in Arizona – ADOT, MAG, MCDOT, PAG.
- Experience with drainage design, preparation of design assessments and design concept reports, and corridor studies.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
The range for this position is $105,000-140,000, which is a combination of your base salary plus an employer-funded 401K retirement contribution. Position in this range is determined by candidate’s experience. In addition, you will share in firmwide profits each year and earn an annual bonus. Kittelson also provides meaningful support for involvement in industry associations and/or conference participation, as well as the pursuit of professional licenses and certifications.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.