Kittelson has an immediate opening for a Senior Transportation Design Project Manager in our Reston, Virginia, office. We are looking for a talented, energetic professional to join the team to work on roadway and traffic engineering projects ranging from concept to final design.
Kittelson is committed to developing thoughtful and creative transportation solutions that directly apply to real-world problems, with the goal of improving the performance of transportation systems and equitably serving all members of a community. We are a nationwide transportation engineering and planning firm that seeks to raise the bar in our profession, serve others first through the way we work, and put our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
We are seeking a skilled transportation professional who is looking to work on innovative projects with national leaders in the transportation industry and help grow our practice in the Mid-Atlantic region. This person will apply intensive and diversified knowledge of transportation engineering and design principles across a broad range of projects in multiple locations throughout the U.S.
The senior transportation design project manager will:
- Provide roadway and intersection design guidance and support with responsibility for all aspects of project and client management, project development, business development and mentoring and guiding junior level staff
- Orchestrate project teams of various sizes and skills and manage staff and subconsultants across multiple offices and locations
- Be responsible for quality assurance and quality control through the development and review of construction plans, specifications and estimates
- Interface with clients and look for and create opportunities to take on additional responsibility as you manage your own career path
- Represent clients and the firm at project meetings, open houses and/or public hearings
- 10+ years of civil engineering experience with an emphasis in roadway and intersection design and preparation of final design plans
- Virginia PE
- Experience leading projects involving designs of the following elements: roadways, intersections, roundabouts, drainage, pedestrian/bicycle facilities, traffic signals, construction traffic control, illumination, and/or signing & striping
- Applied advanced project management and scheduling principles for all sizes of transportation design projects.
- Experience with the management and coordination of multidisciplinary teams involving one or more subconsultants
- Experience mentoring or training other staff in the technical elements of transportation design
- Experience working with one or more of the following design software tools: Microstation, InRoads, Geopak, OpenRoads, and/or AutoCAD Civil 3D
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Entrepreneurial by nature and ready to help grow our firm’s transportation design practice
- Passionate for the transportation industry with a genuine commitment to the profession
- Outward focused with an inherent belief in customer service, collaboration, and teamwork
- Excited to teach and mentor other staff
- Comfortable working with little guidance or oversight in an organization with a relatively flat structure
- Eager to apply critical thinking to complex engineering problems and to communicate solutions to our clients, project stakeholders and the general public
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
The base salary plus retirement range for this position is $120,000-160,000. Position in this range is determined by candidate’s experience and location. We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Kittelson has a unique approach to total compensation that we share in detail in the interviewing process.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.