Kittelson has an immediate opening for a senior-level transportation engineer in our Reston, Virginia office to support our growth in the mid-Atlantic area.
Kittelson is committed to developing thoughtful and creative transportation solutions that directly apply to real-world problems, with the goal of improving the performance of transportation systems and equitably serving all members of a community. We are a nationwide transportation engineering and planning firm that seeks to raise the bar in our profession, serve others first through the way we work, and put our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
We are seeking a skilled transportation professional who is looking to work on innovative projects with national leaders in the transportation industry and help grow our practice in the Mid-Atlantic region. This person will pursue and manage a variety of complex projects that may include multimodal traffic operational analyses, system and corridor level analyses, safety work, conceptual/final traffic and multimodal roadway design, and other related technical areas.
The senior transportation engineer will be responsible for:
- The development and implementation of project work plans from inception of approach through completion of final reports and presentations
- Management of project staff and budgets
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Participation in business development activities including advance marketing, proposal writing, and interviews
- Minimum of 10 years of demonstrated experience with a focus on traffic operations, transportation engineering, traffic design, and experience with planning-level projects
- Virginia PE
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a closely-related field
- Expertise with software(s) related to their area(s) of focus within the profession
- Demonstrated skills to effectively manage projects and develop solid internal and client relationships
- Proven experience providing quality technical analysis and oversight
- Willingness and ability to manage and win competitive marketing pursuits
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to tailor a message to an audience
- Experienced public speaker in a variety of settings
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for teaching and mentoring others
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusting relationships
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
The base salary plus retirement range for this position is $120,000-160,000. Position in this range is determined by candidate’s experience and location. We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Kittelson has a unique approach to total compensation that we share in detail in the interviewing process.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.