Kittelson & Associates has an immediate opening in Orlando for a traffic engineer/analyst to support and lead projects for freeway corridors (including managed lanes), interchanges, intersections, and local roadways.
YOU ARE: a traffic engineer with a people-first mindset, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to make a positive impact in our organization.
WE ARE: a passionate transportation engineering and planning firm that has a strong commitment to putting our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"What a great place to work! Kittelson provides an environment for staff to develop their technical and business skills, while truly being a people-first organization. One year in, I find the flexibility provided to pursue the work and projects I’m interested in, as well as the mentorship and resources needed to be successful—a winning combination."- Jacob Mirabella, Senior Transportation Engineer, Tampa
We invite you to learn about our team of professionals in Orlando, and the projects they are working on across our offices in Florida. You may also enjoy exploring traffic operations-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
The traffic operations engineer/analyst will lead or support complex and high-profile projects throughout Florida involving freeway corridors (including managed lanes), interchanges, intersections, and local roadways. In this role, you will:
- Help our clients understand the existing and future conditions of subject facilities by analyzing field-collected data using spreadsheet and software models. Tools will include Excel, Synchro, HCS, SIDRA, FREEVAL, and VISSIM
- Develop future traffic projections following agency-specific methodologies and procedures
- Create and screen improvement alternatives, perform traffic operations analysis and macro/micro simulation analysis, and refine conceptual designs
- Document methods and findings in technical reports that are accessible to wide audiences
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering or related field
- Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam or ability to pass in the next 6 months
- Ability to effectively manage own time and develop solid internal and client relationships
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing client needs and schedules
- Professional Engineer Licensure in Florida or ability to earn in the next 6 months
- 3+ years of traffic engineering experience, with a background in freeway corridors/managed lanes, interchanges, signal systems, and local roadways
- 3+ years of hands-on transportation operations experience in analyzing and solving complex transportation planning and engineering problems dealing with all travel modes
- Ability to use a variety of software programs effectively and make timely and informed recommendations to clients, elected officials, and stakeholders
- Synchro, HCS, FREEVAL, and VISSIM
- Experience with TSM&O, ICM, express lanes, and part-time shoulder use (PTSU)
- Experience working with FHWA and State DOT (especially FDOT) personnel
- Confidence in public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $70,000 – $100,000
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
"Almost two and a half years in and I can confidently say that colleagues genuinely care about you as a person and your professional growth. You get to carve your own path and there are enough industry leaders in multiple sectors to learn from."- Amanua Osafo, Transportation Analyst, Orlando
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.