Location: Phoenix Tucson
Kittelson & Associates has an immediate opening in Arizona for a traffic engineer to lead and support traffic operations and safety projects for freeway corridors, interchanges, intersections, local roadways, and citywide networks.
YOU ARE: a traffic engineer with a people-first mindset, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to make a positive impact in our organization and throughout the communities you serve.
WE ARE: a nationwide transportation engineering and planning firm that seeks to raise the bar in our profession, serve others first through the way we work, and put our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"What a great place to work! Kittelson provides an environment for staff to develop their technical and business skills, while truly being a people-first organization. One year in, I find the flexibility provided to pursue the work and projects I’m interested in, as well as the mentorship and resources needed to be successful—a winning combination."- Jacob Mirabella, Senior Transportation Engineer, Tampa
We invite you to learn about our team of professionals in Phoenix and Tucson, and the projects they are working on across our offices in Arizona. You may also enjoy exploring design-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
As a traffic operations engineer, you will lead and support complex and high-profile projects throughout Arizona to help our clients understand existing and future conditions of subject facilities. In this role, you will:
- Analyze field-collected data using spreadsheet and software models. Tools will include Synchro, HCS, SIDRA, FREEVAL, and VISSIM
- Develop future traffic projections following agency-specific methodologies and procedures
- Create and screen improvement alternatives, perform traffic operations analysis and macro/micro simulation analysis, and refine conceptual designs
- Develop concepts and implement advanced traffic management strategies including Active Transportation and Demand Management (ATDM) and Integrated Corridor Management (ICM) strategies
- Document methods and findings in technical reports that are accessible to wide audiences
- Identify, pursue, and win traffic operations-related project opportunities
- 7+ years of traffic engineering experience, with a background in freeway and arterial operations and safety planning
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in civil engineering or related transportation field
- Registered as Arizona professional engineer (PE) or traffic engineer (TE)
- 5+ years of hands-on transportation operations experience in analyzing and solving complex transportation planning and engineering problems dealing with all travel modes
- An understanding of the Highway Capacity Manual and Highway Safety Manual analysis techniques, and MUTCD
- Extensive experience in working on a variety of projects, including traffic and transit microsimulation, multimodal corridor studies, downtown circulation plans, transportation demand management plans, transportation impact studies, bicycle and pedestrian facility planning, and local/regional transportation plans
- Ability to effectively manage projects, and develop solid internal and client relationships
- Proven experience in providing quality control oversight of technical analysis
- Strong willingness and ability to lead and win competitive marketing pursuits
- Ability to use a variety of software programs effectively and make timely and informed recommendations to clients, elected officials, and stakeholders – Synchro, HCS, FREEVAL, VISUM, and VISSIM
- ITS and TSMO experience
- Experience with ATDM, ICE, and ramp metering
- Familiarity with basic systems engineering processes
- Ability to provide technical advice on positioning, messaging, and traffic operations effects of electronic signing and variable speed limits
- Confidence in public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
The range for this position is $105,000-155,000, which is a combination of your base salary plus an employer-funded 401K retirement contribution. Position in this range is determined by candidate’s experience. In addition, you will share in firmwide profits each year and earn an annual bonus. Kittelson also provides meaningful support for involvement in industry associations and/or conference participation, as well as the pursuit of professional licenses and certifications.
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.