Kittelson has an immediate opening for a transportation/civil design engineer in our Boise office to focus on roadway and traffic engineering and bicycle/pedestrian projects, from concept development to final design support.
YOU ARE: an engineer with a background in three-dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design, the ability to interface with clients, and a passion for mentoring junior-level staff.
WE ARE: a nationwide transportation engineering and planning firm that seeks to raise the bar in our profession, serve others first through the way we work, and put our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"I enjoy being able to work with more than 250 transportation researchers, planners, and design professionals in an un-siloed environment. There’s a large degree of autonomy here in shaping the next phase of your career."- Gibran Hadj-Chikh, Senior Principal Planner
We invite you to learn about our team of amazing professionals in the Northwest, as well as the projects they are working on across our offices in Boise, Bend and Portland. You may also enjoy exploring design-related projects across Kittelson on the Work page of our website.
In this position, you will work closely with the office’s principal engineer as you continue to hone and develop your design skills. Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing construction drawings
- Leading, advancing and supporting planning studies, corridor evaluations, project permitting, and preliminary and final design plan production
- Assessing intersection forms and control strategies (including roundabouts and alternative forms) and conceptualizing solutions for roadways, highways, multimodal corridors and interchanges
- 4+ years of civil engineering experience, with a background in three-dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design
- Demonstrated experience working on design elements of any of the following: traffic signals, roundabouts, service interchanges, bicycle/pedestrian projects, signing and striping, and construction traffic control plans
- Experience in preparation and development of construction documents and supporting reports, plans, quantities, and estimates using highway design manuals, NCHRP guidelines, AASHTO policies, MUTCD, and local design criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field
- Professional registration (PE) in the State of Idaho or the ability to gain licensure within 6-months of starting employment
- Experience with internal task management with track record of organizing and training junior-level staff on project components
- High degree of functionality in and understanding of AutoCAD Civil3D, AutoCAD, and/or Microstation, InRoads, Open Roads Designer.
- Roundabout planning, operations, and design experience
- Familiarity with applicable local and national roadway design guidebooks and manuals, including AASHTO Green Book, Roadside Design Manual, and principles that support and affect geometric design
- Familiarity/experience with producing construction documents for ACHD, ITD, NHD1, CHD4, City of Caldwell, and City of Nampa in accordance with the ISPWC and the respective agency supplements/standards
- Experience with multimodal facility planning and design documentation and execution of multimodal design work
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $80,000 to $110,000
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
"After joining Kittelson in June 2021, midway through my career, I was impressed to find that Kittelson had established several forums for staff to provide thoughts, concerns, and ideas on their personal experiences working during the pandemic and used that information to understand viewpoints and support success, not to dictate next steps."- Mychal Loomis, Associate Engineer, San Diego
If you have a passion for making a difference in transportation and want to work with a team that puts you in the driver’s seat of your career, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.