Location: Harrisburg Philadelphia Washington, DC Reston Boston
Kittelson has an immediate opening for a design or project engineer with experience in roadway design with an emphasis on 3D modeling (OpenRoads, Inroads, Geopak, or Civil3D).
YOU ARE: an engineer with a background in three-dimensional roadway, intersection, and interchange design, the ability to interface with clients, and a passion for 3D modeling.
WE ARE: a nationwide transportation engineering and planning firm that seeks to raise the bar in our profession, serve others first through the way we work, and put our people before profits. Listen to how our colleagues describe Kittelson values and culture here.
"I enjoy being able to work with more than 250 transportation researchers, planners, and design professionals in an un-siloed environment. There’s a large degree of autonomy here in shaping the next phase of your career."- Gibran Hadj-Chikh, Senior Principal Planner
The civil design engineer will be primarily responsible for performing an array of tasks for roadway and multimodal projects in support of State DOTs, Counties, Cities, and other municipalities. The successful candidate may serve as Project Manager on small tasks or as a Project Engineer on portions of larger projects and have the desire and interpersonal skills to interface with clients; receive mentoring and support to become successful in this role; and look for opportunities to take on additional responsibilities over the course of their career with the firm.
- 4-8 years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility for state DOT, County, City, and other municipal clients.
- Proficiency with roadway design software including MicroStation, 3D modeling software (OpenRoads, InRoads, GEOPAK, or Civil3D), AutoTURN and cost estimating programs.
- Working knowledge of transportation engineering, roadway design, multimodal design, intersection planning and design, pedestrian safety, bicycle accommodations, and/or a general understanding of the project delivery process.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field required.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license or EIT in one or more of the following states: Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maryland, District of Columbia, Virginia, and North Carolina.
- Familiarity with the procedures and methodologies published in the major national guidelines (e.g., AASHTO & MUTCD).
- Familiarity with DOT-specific guidelines and standards, particularly those of PennDOT, MDOT SHA, VDOT, MassDOT and/or NCDOT.
- Experience with drainage design, intersection control evaluations (ICE)s, road safety audits (RSAs) and other studies, multimodal studies, and roundabout peer reviews.
- Interest in active transportation design and innovative intersections.
- Desire to mentor younger staff
- Desire to be involved with business development and project pursuits
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience and location): $80,000 to $110,000
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Kittelson has a unique approach to total compensation that we share in detail in the interviewing process.
Flexible Work Environments
The health and safety of our staff and their loved ones is more important to us than where they work. We trust team members to make the decisions that are right for them. Kittelson continues to encourage and support flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phones and remote/mobile office setups.
"After joining Kittelson in June 2021, midway through my career, I was impressed to find that Kittelson had established several forums for staff to provide thoughts, concerns, and ideas on their personal experiences working during the pandemic and used that information to understand viewpoints and support success, not to dictate next steps."- Mychal Loomis, Associate Engineer, San Diego
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you! Take the first step by using the “apply now” button to express interest.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.