Kittelson has an immediate opening for a transportation/traffic engineer based in our Portland office to support our recent growth.
We are looking for a talented, energetic professional to join the team in our Portland, Oregon office and focus on roadway and traffic engineering projects that range from roadway and intersection concept development to final design support. Specific tasks of the transportation/traffic design engineer include assessing intersection forms and control strategies (including roundabouts and alternative forms) and conceptualizing solutions for roadways, highways, multimodal corridors, and interchanges.
- 5+ years of traffic engineering design experience that includes the preparation of plans, specifications, and estimates for traffic signals, interconnect, illumination, signing, striping, and/or traffic control designs
- Experience preparing reports and designs using public agency design criteria, MUTCD, highway design manuals, NCHRP guidelines, and/or the AASHTO Policy
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field, Oregon professional registration (PE), and four years (minimum) of qualifying transportation design engineering experience
- Past experience in internal task management, with a track record of organizing and training junior-level staff on project components
- Software: High degree of functionality in Microstation and/or AutoCAD
- Experience coordinating with public agency staff, private consultants, stakeholder outreach teams, and other disciplines for project delivery
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience with InRoads and/or Civil3D
- Roundabout planning, operations, and design experience
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles supporting geometric design
- Awareness and applications of the Highway Safety Manual
- An understanding of Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) and Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) traffic design standards
- Confidence in public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit; motivation to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry
- Ability to teach and mentor other staff
- A strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with a high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trusting relationships
- Ability to think and respond quickly, with strong communication skills
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive employer-paid health insurance, a generous and flexible PTO program (in addition to parental leave), an outstanding retirement program, and a culture that seeks and values diversity and inclusion.
Base salary plus retirement range for this position (place in range determined by candidate’s experience): $85,000-125,000.
We also recognize the performance of all staff through a performance bonus program based upon each individual’s contributions to key areas that lead to the achievement of our collective goals.
Flexible Work Environments
Kittelson supports flexible work environments, including providing stipends for cell phone and to offset the cost of setting up a remote or mobile office.
Federal Contractor Notification
As a covered contractor committed to retaining its Federal clients and projects and the related opportunities provided to our staff, Kittelson is required to adhere to Federal Contractor COVID-19 vaccination mandates, which require proof of full vaccination status by December 8, 2021 or an approved religious or medical exemption. Please let us know if you would like to discuss any of these matters prior to or during the interview process.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you! Please express interest for this position by using the “Apply Now” button below. During the application process you will be asked to upload a cover letter and resume.
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.