Kittelson has an immediate opening for a transportation/traffic engineer based in our Portland office to support our recent growth.
We are looking for a talented, energetic professional to join the team in our Portland, Oregon, office and focus on roadway and traffic engineering projects that range from roadway and intersection concept development to final design support. Specific tasks of the transportation/traffic design engineer include assessing intersection forms and control strategies (including roundabouts and alternative forms) and conceptualizing solutions for roadways, highways, multimodal corridors, and interchanges.
- 5+ years of traffic engineering design experience that includes the preparation of plans, specifications, and estimates for traffic signals, interconnect, illumination, signing, striping, and/or traffic control designs
- Experience preparing reports and designs using highway design manuals, NCHRP guidelines, the AASHTO Policy, MUTCD, and local design criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field, Oregon professional registration (PE), and four years (minimum) of qualifying transportation design engineering experience
- Past experience in internal task management, with a track record of organizing and training junior-level staff on project components
- Software: High degree of functionality in Microstation and/or AutoCAD
- Experience coordinating with public agency staff, private consultants, stakeholder outreach teams, and other disciplines for project delivery
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience with InRoads and/or Civil3D
- Roundabout planning, operations, and design experience
- Familiarity with Highway Capacity Manual principles supporting geometric design
- Awareness and applications of the Highway Safety Manual
- An understanding of Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) and Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) traffic design standards
- Confidence in public speaking before audiences of laypersons, stakeholders, teaming partners, and owners
Preferred Soft Skills
- Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit; motivation to serve internal and external clients
- Passion for the transportation industry
- Ability to teach and mentor other staff
- A strong desire to learn
- Outward focus, with a high level of customer service
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trusting relationships
- Ability to think and respond quickly, with strong communication skills
The professionals who now define Kittelson’s reputation and quality of work came to the company one by one, each bringing the commitment, initiative, inquisitiveness, and willingness to take risks that has led to our collective success. Our staff is committed to our overall firm purpose and mission to create and sustain a lifelong learning environment for all staff, increase the value and contributions of our profession and the communities we serve, and provide the opportunity for the independent success of all staff.
If you have a passion for what you do and want to work with a great team that is making a difference in transportation today, we want to hear from you!
Kittelson is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not face discrimination on the basis of veteran status or disability.