We are excited to welcome Dr. Nagui Rouphail—an internationally recognized scholar in highway capacity and operations, multi-scale traffic simulation, and the interface of traffic flow and air quality—to our Wilmington office as a Senior Principal. Nagui brings more than 40 years of experience in academia and has long been a close teaming partner of Kittelson in his time as Director of the Institute for Transportation Research & Education (ITRE) and Distinguished Professor at North Carolina State University. For years, he has also been an advisor to several current and former Kittelson staff.
“Nagui is a true pioneer in the transportation field and has spent his career working on the leading edge,” says Kittelson CEO Brandon Nevers. “He has an incredibly creative and innovative mind and natural style of collaboration. And yet his greatest impact is arguably through the many students and colleagues who he’s taught, mentored, and maintained relationships with over the years. I’m fortunate to be one of them along with several others here at Kittelson.”
"We’re all honored to associate with Nagui and continue his legacy of advancing the transportation profession."- Brandon Nevers, CEO
Nagui’s research expertise and contributions to the transportation profession have included:
- Publishing more than 200 refereed journal articles, including 10 best paper awards.
- Contributing research and co-authoring the HCM2000, 2010, and 6th
- Participating in dozens of state and federal research grants in the areas of traffic operations, safety, reliability, multimodal, and many other topics.
- Serving as Associate Editor for several international journals, including Transportation Science, Transportation Research Part B, and the Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Participating in projects and advised students across the globe, including in Sweden, Denmark, South Korea, South Africa, Australia, and Portugal.
- Advising nearly 80 Masters and PhD students.
Nagui looks forward to applying his expertise on research, staff development, and innovative transportation planning and engineering projects at Kittelson, and guiding the team that is building out our Research and Innovation practice.
“Every community and institution we serve can benefit from the direct access to Nagui that’s now available,” says Kittelson founder Wayne Kittelson. “I’ve had the privilege of working with him on small community-centered projects that required practical solutions to real problems under tight timelines and small budgets. In everyday situations like these, Nagui’s engaging personality, creative genius, and audience-directed communication skills are just as valuable as they’ve proven to be in the national/international research efforts for which he is probably best known.”
“Every community and institution we serve can benefit from the direct access to Nagui that’s now available."- Wayne Kittelson
Please help us extend a warm Kittelson welcome to Nagui! Learn more and contact him here.